Thursday, February 10, 2011

What a Kick! Austin is 6...

As hard as it is for me to believe, Austin is 6 years old! I'm still not quite sure when he grew up, because to me it was in the blink of an eye. It's as if it were yesterday that I was holding him for the first time in my hospital room, and now here he is almost too big to pick up! I love to snuggle with him though and he enjoys it, too. He is such a sensitive little guy and has the biggest heart. Anytime he is given something (food, toy, etc...), he always makes sure to get enough for his brothers and Alexis. His world right now consists of using his imagination... a lot! At home he loves playing with little legos and all his action figures. He also loves to color, draw and play video games. He loves to tell stories as well, and would talk your ear off if given the chance! He's come a long way in school since last year, although he still puts up a fight to go every morning. He's also having some trouble listening and focusing, but he's either at or above average in every subject, so I know he is retaining everything he learns.
For his birthday, we kept things pretty simple since his big birthday party with his brothers is in a few weeks. I dropped cupcakes off for his class for snack in the morning, and then picked him and Andrew up early in the afternoon so we could go to Austin's doctor's appointment (more about that visit in my next post). After we were done there, we went to Pizza Hut for dinner. Both Andrew and Austin had coupons for their own personal pan pizza, so I figured it was perfect timing to use them. Our trip there started out rough because Austin was really hyper from not being able to play outside at school due to the freezing temperatures, so he kept running around the table and jumping all over the chair. Once I finally got him settled, Aaron had a meltdown about something. At that point I just wanted to pack it up and call it a day! But then a sweet woman walked over and asked if all 4 kids were mine. When I said yes, she told the kids what a wonderful mother I was for taking all 4 of them out by myself for a nice dinner and that when she had young kids, she never did that. Things got much better after that, and we were able to eat our pizza dinner with a little less chaos. When we were finished, we headed home to have cake & ice cream and watch Austin open us his presents. I felt bad though, because by the time he opened up his presents, it was bath and bedtime. He was sad he couldn't play with his new toys, but I did promise they would be ready and waiting for him in the morning. He went to bed content with that thought!
Posing with his card...
Unwrapping his present from Andrew...
Opening up his gift from Aaron & Alexis...
Opening up his present from me...
Showing off this new toy...
Happy 6th Birthday, little monkey!!!

No comments: