Friday, August 26, 2011

Destination: Relaxation (Days 1 & 2)...

Thanks to my wonderful parents and sisters, I was able to sneak away all by myself for a 6 day vacation to visit one of my best friends in Washington DC. I was quite nervous about the getaway because I had never been away from my kids for more than 2 days! Also, I was flying to DC and had never been on a plane before in my life! However, since I knew it was probably a once in a lifetime trip (being a full time single mom of 4 doesn't allow me much freedom), I decided to face my fears and go for it!
I dropped the kids off at my mom's house last Saturday afternoon and headed to Detroit. Since I was flying out of Metro, my brother and sister-in-law graciously agreed to have me as an overnight guest, as well as be my ride to and from the airport so I didn't have to worry about paying for parking. Have I mentioned how blessed I am with a great family!? When I got to their house that evening, we ate dinner and watched some tv while catching up.
Quality "family time" with Kevin, Laurie and Savanna...
The next morning I was able to sleep in til 10am and woke up breakfast was ready and waiting... talk about a great way to start a vacation!! After filling up on pancakes, it was time to head to the airport.
Back seat silliness with my neice on the way to the airport...
They dropped me off outside my terminal with instructions on where to go and what to do. I was a little anxious going through security because of some of the horror stories I had heard, but I sailed right on through and headed to my gate to wait. When it was time to board, I nervously walked onto the plane, found my seat and took many deep breaths while I waited for the plane to start moving. 
The view out of my window seat waiting to push back from the gate...
During take-off, I was COMPLETELY FREAKING OUT! a little nervous, but had a great seat mate helping keep me calm. Once we were in the air, I felt much better and was even able enjoy the flight and snap a few pictures!
For being my very first flight, it was a very smooth and not nearly as scary as I thought it would be. Fear conquered! When I landed in Baltimore, Pam was already in the airport waiting for me. We grabbed my luggage and headed to her house.
My tour guide and partner in crime...
After dropping off my stuff and freshening up a bit, we went to a local pub for dinner. Afterwards, she showed me where she sings, the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
We made our back to her house and pretty much called it a night since we knew the next day would be tiring with all the sightseeing we had planned. And I must've been tired from traveling, because I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow!

No comments: