Monday, March 22, 2010

From Couch to 5K...

Well, I officially start training tonight for my first 5K race. As most of you know, my little sister is an avid runner and has participated in a ton of races. I have gone to a couple to help show support. At one of them I made a deal with her that I would run at least one 5k this summer. I figured it would be a good way for me to get in better shape, and since I am 30 now, I really need to work on maintaining my girlish figure. For those of you who know me, know I have NEVER been a runner. However, I figure there's a first time for everything, right!? I am pretty excited about it, but of course my attitude may change after actually doing it. As of right now, I am going to remain positive and have an open mind. I'm very happy that I do have my sister helping me because I know she will push me to give it my all. And who knows, by this time next year I may be training for more 5k's or even a 10K. Or maybe I will be back to just watching on the sidelines... only time will tell :)

5 comments:

dana said...

Are you using the "couch to 5k" podcasts to help you train? I am using those podcasts just to get in shape in general (I have no actual plans to run a 5k), and I love them!

Laura said...

I haven't heard of them until just now. I'll definitely give them a listen! Thanks!!

Pamela said...

You can do it, Laurie! I need to train, too! We should get your visit on the calendar and try to line it up with a 5K around here so we both have something to strive for!

Laura said...

We should definitely do that! And, I am so excited to see you next month!

Mandy said...

That's great, Laura! I was never a runner, but started running about a year ago and have gotten in the best shape I've been in in a while. I still don't know that I could do a 5K, but I feel great! Good luck!