Monday, October 11, 2010

Chicago Marathon...

"The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die."
- Steve Roland Prefontaine
I got the opportunity to go to Chicago with my sister this past weekend to watch her and some of our friends compete in the Chicago Marathon. It's the largest marathon in the world, with 45,000 registered runners, and it was her first time running it. Although it was a lot more overwhelming than the last two I have accompanied her to, it was definitely worth the chaos!
Best sisters...
Megan I before the race...
Mom, Dad and Megan before the race...
The runners before the race - 
Brandon, Ryan, Ken, Timis, Jeff and Megan...
The spectators...
Megan's special cheering section - Dad, Cousin Shane, Mom and me...
During the race, a group of us (decked in matching t-shirts to show our support) went around to a few of mile markers to cheer on our runners and take pictures.
Ryan, Jeff, Timis & Ken running strong at the 4 mile marker...
Megan following close behind...
And at the half marathon mile marker...
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to capture any good pictures of Megan after this point, but I was able to see her finish. Although she wasn't very excited about her time (which still qualified her for the Boston Marathon), I was still proud of my baby sister for even having the ability to run the 26.2 miles. Way to go, Megan!!!

Out and About in Chi Town...
Of course, it is impossible to spend a few days in Chicago without doing a little sightseeing and eating at some of the good restaurants. After the race, my parents, Megan, her friend Mark and our cousin Shane all went out to lunch. We originally wanted to go get some true Chicago deep-dish pizza, but all the places to get some were packed, so we opted for a different place that served regular pizza, but with a large variety of toppings. It was still very delicious!
Our group after lunch...
Afterwards, my parents headed back home while Megan, Mark, Shane and I headed to the Cheesecake factory for dessert. It was my first time ever going there, and I was not disappointed... their cheesecake is awesome! I plan on making that place a definite priority whenever I visit the windy city again!
Megan and I waiting for our delectable desserts...
Once we finished eating our treats (and gaining 2lbs from them!), we decided to take a trip up to the John Hancock Observatory since it was such a gorgeous and clear day. The sights were amazing, and took my breath away. 
City view...
Navy Pier...
Lake Michigan shoreline...
Megan and I...
Window washing...
It was a fun little weekend away and I cannot wait to tag along with her again next year. Hopefully next year we are able to add a little time in for shopping, too!

No comments: