Sunday, October 24, 2010

Forever in our Hearts...

It's not been the best year for my family in the way of pets. In April, my parents had to have our beloved family dog, Buddy, put down. He had been a part of our family for the last 10 years, and was the best dog you could have ever asked for. Being a black lab, he had a very friendly personality, but also had a protective side when necessary. He was very calm, and would just sit there as my kids would climb and love all over him. A few years ago he had been diagnosed with epilepsy after having a grand mal seizure. Soon after, my parents also found out he also had diabetes and had to be on insulin. Unfortunately, the daily shots of insulin started making him go blind as time passed. I think we were all surprised he made it as long as he did (he was 12 years old), and were grateful for every moment with him.
With his passing, it left my parents with just the family cat, Tiger. I originally got Tiger from one of my good friends when he was just a little kitten. However, after having the 3 boys, I knew I could no longer give him the attention he needed, so my parents offered to take him. He was a perfect fit for them and quite content in his new surroundings. The kids enjoyed going over there and visiting their old pal (especially Austin), and Tiger didn't mind it, for the most part. Sadly, his life ended this past Friday when he was struck by a car while trying to cross the road. It was an awful way for him to go, but thankfully it was quick and he didn't suffer.
I think the hardest part with both their deaths was telling the boys. Of course they had a million questions, but I am thankful they were brought up due to pets dying vs. people closest to them. That night we said a little prayer for them asking God to take good care of them in animal Heaven. Rest in peace, Buddy and Tiger!

No comments: