Saturday, November 13, 2010

Bye Bye, Blankey...

After many attempts to break the bond between Aaron and his favorite blanket, there has finally been success! A few weeks ago, Alexis, Aaron and I made a quick trip to Sam's club, with his blanket in tow, of course. At some point, he dropped it in the store. Well, he didn't mention it until after I loaded all the groceries into the car and buckled both him and Alexis in their car seats. So, I put them back in the cart, and we headed into Sam's Club, again. We retraced our steps and searched ALL over the place. I also asked someone at customer service if it had been turned it in. Nothing! I gave them my name and number in case someone happened to come across it, but I was sure by how beat up it was, someone would easily mistake it for garbage. Afterall, he'd had that blanket since he was a baby, and slept with it every night. It also went with him everywhere and was getting quite tattered!
It kept him all snuggled up in his swing at 6 months...
And acted as a pillow for his head at age 1... 

It kept him comforted during his first hair cut...
It celebrated his 2nd birthday with him at Jungle Joe's...
And still helped him have sweet dreams every night...
That blanket enjoyed a motorcycle ride with Papa Krim...
And came to the pumpkin patch with us every year to pick out some great pumpkins...
It also helped Aaron collect candy each Halloween night...
And even enjoyed a nice afternoon of sledding with us one winter day...
Like I said, it went EVERYWHERE with him! However, he surprised me big time that first night, and went to bed perfectly fine without it. Sure, he did ask where it was and if we could go back to the store one more time to look for it, but I said no, and that was that. There was no screaming, no crying, no fits! I was so proud of him for being such a big boy! A few days later, I finally got a call from the store saying they had found it and I could pick it up whenever. I honestly thought about just leaving it there and saying good riddance since he was clearly doing great without it. However, I did go and pick it up. I brought it home, washed it, and put it in his baby bin. It's now safely packed away with all his other precious baby items I couldn't let of as he got outgrew them. I look forward to the day, years from now, when I can sit down with each of my children and look through their scrapbooks and bins and revisit their childhood with them. Here's hoping they're just as sentimental as their Mom! Next up for him: potty training! Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

dana said...

I'm so glad you shared this - such a sweet and pivotal moment in a child's life! I can't remember the transition of giving up my "yellow blankie," but I know my mom still has it put away, and that means the world to me. :)